We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Councillor Expenses

Stockton Borough Councillors are paid an annual allowance. This means that being a councillor isn't only open to well-off people. Some councillors receive an extra allowance, called a Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA) for the extra work involved in being for example a Group Leader or Chair of committee.

The allowances are subject to income tax and national insurance.

Allowances for travel and subsistence (meals, hotels etc) can only be claimed if the journey is necessary for council business, not to visit the ward or to go to meetings about such things as policing the ward. They include some regional meetings at which councillors represent the borough.

The list of allowances payable to councillors for 2011-12 can be found at http://www.stockton.gov.uk/yourcouncil/egenda/your_councillors/membersallowances/

For 2009-10 the allowances claimed by Liberal Democrat councillors were as follows:

Name Basic Allowance Special Responsiblity Allowance (SRA) Travel Subsistence Total
Julia Cherrett £9,300 £7,379.03 £49.13 £16,728.16
Elliot Kennedy £8400 £0.00 £24.80 £8,424.24
Alan Lewis £9300 £0.00 -£101.45 £9,198.55
Maureen Rigg £9,300 £6048.42 £15,348.42